So I now have a dilemma… I am trying to decide where to buy a house… Do I buy in a town by my job or do I buy in the city (by friends) where I have to commute to work. Of course I went to my trusty google and tried to find some information to make my decision easier. One thing I read was to make your decision to live some where that will improve your quality of life, understand what your core needs and interests are and will be. To understand these needs, you have to look at
1. What really matters – Place is as important as job, but neither are as important as family and friends
2. Room for Career Flexibility – living in the city would definitely leave more options for continued career growth, although I am VERY happy in my current position
3. Live where your income is at least as high as the median… I am sure there is a way to find this out… perhaps google…
4. Consider more choice is not always more desirable – look at why more might just be less.
5. Keep your commute short – how short is short? If I were to buy in the town where I have been looking, it would be between a 15 and 20 minute commute; if I were to buy in the city… 45 – 50 minutes, but it would be a reverse commute. Hmmm…
6. Don’t relocate away from a spouse or significant other (SO NOT AN ISSUE! 🙂 )
7. Seek diverse populations for a richer life – One thing I do want is a diverse but safe neighborhood…
8. Make a decision to improve the world – Live life in sync with values and intention to make a difference.
So even through all this… I still don’t know how to decide… town or city… near friends or nearer to family… Any thoughts???
Hey Steph! I say…work is work and you go to a job that affords you some of the peace and happiness while you’re away from work. So I say you should buy a home that’s close to your friends and family; regardless of the commute because that’s where the love is:-)
Thanks Nicole, I appreciate your input… it is a tough decision, since my family is one place and friends are another… hmmm what is a girl to do? 🙂 I guess take my pick, the world is mine right??? Things can always change later. if I don’t like my first decision right 🙂 Thanks again for reading and commenting!
do you mind driving? i have always liked to drive and have not minded commutes….but i also live in a smaller town and commuted to another town via country roads and pretty scenery…..some people hate to drive….especially at night and in the winter….so take those things into consideration……but also remember, not all your decisions are etched in stone. things can be changed…..and if you don’t try different things you will never know if you like or don’t like something….instead of trying to make “the best decision” just go with what looks fairly good and change it later…you’ve heard of analysis paralysis……sometimes life can be wonderful and full of pleasant surprises when we just go with the flow…and thank you for having me on your blog role! maureen lynne
Thanks Maureen Lynne for reading my blog… I have enjoyed reading yours too… It is crazy what a big decision this has become. You are right though if I don’t like it, I can always change… nothing these days are forever… Thanks again for reading and commenting.