Music has had a profound impact on my life; a song can stop me dead in my tracks and take me back to a moment in my past or remind me of what I am looking for in life. I love music of all kinds, all genres from classical to rock and everything in between. In fact, one song is playing right now (Need You Now by Lady Antebellum) that takes my mind to a place where I don’t
want it to be, but for whatever reason, this song takes me there.
Last night I watched Gray’s Anatomy, their music episode. Very powerful and touching, the music fit each scene and the characters situations perfectly. I swear, that I have days like that, although, I don’t break out into song, much to the appreciation of my co-workers. For similar reasons, I use to love the TV show Ally McBeal. Theme Songs playing as you walk in the room, the song that gives you the power to get back up as life has kicked you to the ground.
As I was thinking about the impact music has, I was thinking about songs that have a spot in my memory. Some are theme songs from different times in my life and some are songs that take me there… The weird thing as I was thinking back on my wild and wonderful life, some songs cause me to remember everything so vividly, what I wore (clothes and perfume) and who I was with; yet other songs just take me to a place in my memory or a place I have not been, but am longing to be and I still know what I would wear and who (I think) belongs there with me.
Some of the songs in no particular order are:
- Ironic – Alanis Morrisette
- Rain King – Counting Crows
- Seasons of Love – Cast of Rent
- According to You – Orianthi
- If You Don’t Know Me By Now – Simply Red
- Ice Cream – Sarah McLachlan
- Woman – John Lennon
- My Sharona – The Knack
- The Way We Were – Barbara Streisand
- My Ding-A-Ling – Chuck Berry
- Alive – Pearl Jam
- People Are Strange – The Doors
- Mr. Jones – Counting Crows
- Blister in the Sun – Violent Femmes
- This – Darius Rucker
- Avalon – Roxy Music
- I’d Really Love to See You Tonight – England Dan and John Ford Coley
- Who You’d Be Today – Kenny Chesney
- Need You Now – Lady Antebellum
- Wanna Be – Spice Girls
- Better Man – Pearl Jam
- Shook Me All Night Long – AC/DC
- Marine Corps Hymn – USMC
- Picture – Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow
- Bring Me To Life – Evanescence
- In the Garden – Church Hymn
While I could share stories of where these songs take me, it is best to just know that these songs take me back. If you know me, one of these songs might remind me of you, do you know which one? If you don’t know me… well, maybe we have some memories yet to be made.