So I have had some time to get sort of settled in my house and my neighborhood. I have some wants for my town to add to my list of things to make this little part of the world a little better. Now I know no where is perfect, however, I am loving my neighborhood. I have joined our neighborhood organization… and provided some ideas of things that I think would be fun for our neighborhood. There are also some things that I think my town needs…
1. Trader Joes… or Whole Foods… I’m leaning toward Trader Joes, they have great cheese and wine.
2. A wine bar or a place grown folks can go to meet other grown folks. How does one make new friends as a grown up?
3. A better public transportation system. One that runs into the evenings… so you cane be the responsible one and not drive after enjoying some of those adult beverages.
4. They need to build up the downtown area. I can tell, and actually know that at one time it was a busy city center, however with the invention of the mall, the store front stores went out. 😦 Just a sad state of the world.
5. A real farmers market. When I lived in Kansas City, I fell in love with Farmers Markets. Here is the link to the Kansas City Market http://www.thecitymarket.org/ check it out you will see how amazing it is. It has a little bit of everything and some great produce. This could also build up the city center. Just a thought. One of my biggest frustrations is that the current farmers market is on Fridays from 8am – 2pm. Makes it very hard for a person who works to go and enjoy the farmers market.
Those are my 5 things that I think my town needs to improve the lives of those living here… mainly me 🙂 Thanks for reading!
Posted in Drinks, Life Happens, Post a Week, PostaWeek, Single Life, Things that make me happy!
Tagged A post a week, American Dream, City or Town, Favorites, Life, New Home Owner, PostaWeek, Summer
One of my “new” favorite shows is Yard Crashers with Ahmed Hassan. I am only hoping that once I have signed that contract, Ahmed finds me at Home Depot, Menards or Lowes… or what ever hardware store he hangs at. I will say YES, you can follow me home. On a side note, if he asked me to follow him home and help him in his yard, I would probably say yes to that as well. 😉 My new yard is pretty small, but I have some wonderful ideas.
If I could have my dream backyard, I would love an outdoor kitchen, an outdoor soaking area, a deck/patio area, a fire pit and a nice garden area with both edible and flowering plants.
The outdoor kitchen is similar to what I like, but a little big for my little house. I would want it built to scale for my house and my life. This picture is out of Texas where everything is bigger. What I like is it has the grilling/kitchen area, and the fire pit all in one.
This teak tub is something I cam across one day, and while I like the material, and it would be great for soaking, it isn’t big enough for socializing. I would love a larger teak soaking / hot tub, but I hope the hot cabana boy comes with it. If I wasn’t able to have this, I would like a swim spa that allows you the current to swim against.
Raised beds and container gardens are a great asset to a small garden and is also something I would like in my garden/yard area. Lots of containers around the outdoor kitchen filled with fresh herbs, tomatoes and peppers.
So while I have lots of ideas, and the willingness to do the work, I personally am lacking the “skill” to do it all myself and since I am just buying the house, I will be lacking the funds to create my dream yard. So if you know Ahmed and the crew of Yard Crashers… PLEASE send them my way.
*** Just a note… none of the above pictures are mine, if you click on the pictures, they will take you to the links of the product, company, or person where credit is due. A big thanks to google images and the individual websites to help me find pictures of what I am looking for.
Posted in DIY, Gardening, Homes, Post a Week, PostaWeek, Summer, Uncategorized
Tagged A post a week, Ahemd Hassan, American Dream, DIY, Garden, Gardens, Home, Homes, house, Life, Nature, New Home Owner, PostaWeek, Summer, Yard Crashers
One of my favorite pictures, even better in color because you can see the pretty red on my toes. This picture takes me back to the summer. This was at a Joliet Jackhammers Game, sitting out on the lawn, on a blanket, toes out. Even though there is no sand makes me think of the song Toes by the Zac Brown Band. I am ready for spring… I hope to have a nice long spring and a great summer to have my toes out in flip-flops and sandals.
What are you most excited about for spring and summer?
Posted in Post a Week, PostaWeek, Sepia, Summer, Sundays, Uncategorized
Tagged A post a week, American Dream, Favorites, Friends, Photography, Photos, Pictures, PostaWeek, Summer